For Day 1 of the #maltameatfreeweek challenge, I will be sharing our favorite Falafel recipe. My kids both love them and my eldest loves preparing them with me. Falafel are highly nutritious and a great source of protein and fibre. They are super easy and quick to make and can also be prepared in advanced and stored in the freezer to be served whenever you need. So these are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp wholemeal flour
- Oil for frying
- Add the chickpeas, onion and garlic to a food processor. Don’t over process as it will look more like hummus. You want it chunky with little bits in.
- Add the parsley, cilantro, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper and continue to pulse until combined.
- Add the baking powder and flour and mix in with a spoon.
- Sprinkle some flour on your hands and form into small balls and flatten.
- Add some oil to a pan and lightly fry for a few minutes on each side.
- Voila! You can serve in a wrap or salad.
To celebrate the #maltameatfreeweek challenge we are giving away a free HappySoaps vegan and plastic-free shampoo or conditioner bar with any purchase of €50 or over from hipandmama.com between the 5th and 11th October 2020 (not in conjunction with any other offer) 🙂