It’s the 5th day of the #maltameatfreeweek and we have picked another of our kids’ favourite food. Pinwheels! These are ideal for a snack or lunchbox filler. They are versatile and you can add any filling. Avocado is also a great filling, as are kidney beans and corn. The base for this pinwheel recipe is made of chickpeas, making it rich in protein. You can add whichever vegetables you like but we like to add green, orange and red veg!
- 2 large tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (one can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot peeled and shredded
- Some lettuce or baby spinach
- Add chickpeas to a large bowl and mash using a fork.
- Add green onions, parsley, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and mayonnaise to the bowl and mix well.
- Spread half of the chickpea mixture onto 1 tortilla, spreading right to the edges.
- Place the red pepper, carrots, and lettuce in 3 rows on top of the chickpea spread, as shown above.
- Roll the tortilla tightly and with seam side down
Let us know what you think 🙂
To support the #maltameatfreeweek challenge we are giving away a free HappySoaps vegan and plastic-free shampoo or conditioner bar with any purchase of €50 or over from hipandmama.com
The offer is valid only between the 5th and 11th October 2020 and not in conjunction with any other offer.