We don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day in any fancy way. We know love should be celebrated all year round. Since having the kids, we usually spend the day all together, making crafts, cooking and playing.
This year, we decided to cut out many heart shapes out of cardboard and paint them red. My eldest requested a party at home between the four of us, a movie with popcorn and some sweet treats. We made heart shaped peanut butter cups, which turned out delicious. They’re easy and quite quick to make and the kids loved getting involved.
This is what you will need:
- 1 cup chocolate chips (dairy or dairy free)
- 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
Peanut Butter Layer:
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter*
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
*I make my own peanut butter. I roast 1 kilo of peanuts and just blend until I get a smooth consistency. It’s natural and turns out much cheaper if you use peanut butter as much as we do!
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil for a minute in the microwave, stir and continue heating until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Using a spoon, pour some chocolate at the bottom of your heart shaped muffin cases. Place them on a tray and into the freezer for about 5-10 minutes.
- In another bowl, add the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and salt. Place in the microwave for about 15 seconds, until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Remove the tray from the freezer and top up with the peanut butter mixture evenly over each heart . Put back in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Bring them back out and pour the remaining chocolate to seal the hearts.
- Place them back in the freezer to set, for about 30-60 minutes.
- Remove and store in the fridge.
When we were done, the kids dipped strawberries in the left over chocolate mixture and placed them in the fridge to set for a few minutes.
It was a very easy morning, preparing for our movie later on. Other activities on the agenda are, a game of ludo, building blocks, lots of cuddles and face-timing all our relatives 🙂
I hope you’re all having a relaxing Sunday.